Healthy Kids Snow Day
Run. Jump. Play. On a winter day!
February 6th, 2016, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at James Jerome Complex (formerly called Lily Creek).
FREE TRANSIT will be available to and from the Snow Day venue. Participants may download or print a voucher to show the bus operator when they board the bus. Vouchers will also be available at all public libraries.
FREE SHUTTLE. For those who choose to drive to the event, lots of parking is available at the York St. parking lot on Paris St with free bus shuttles. Limited parking is also available at Ecole St. Denis on Ramseyview Court.
Join us for a free family day to experience active outdoor family fun and learn about the Healthy Kids Community Challenge.
- Play in our outdoor play zones- snow art and construction, sliding and climbing, free play with our volunteers from Best Start Hubs and Child Care Centres
- Try a new winter sport- snowshoeing, snow biking (for those over 5ft tall), snow soccer, boot hockey, snow golf, Snow Zumba. All equipment will be provided
- Join Shkagamik-Kwe Health Centre's Healthy Kids Challenge for Tipi story telling, traditional foods and indigenous games.
- Play outdoor games with Sudbury YMCA Camp Counsellors
- Join a guided family hike with Rainbow Routes
- Build a quinzee, take a scavenger hunt and learn about animal tracks with Lake Laurentian Conservation Area
- Learn about winter survival with Laurentian's Outdoor Ed program
- Add your angel to Sudbury's biggest snow angel field
- Take a horse drawn wagon ride or visit our petting zoo
Enter our "outDoor Prize" draw for a family set of snowshoes
- Try some delicious and nutritious foods in our Healthy Kids Caterers Challenge taste test.
- Try our nutritious snacks and beverages (bring your own reusable water bottle or cup!)
- Ride the shuttle to the Science North where friendly volunteers can give you some skating pointers. Before you go, you can borrow skates and helmets from the Skate Exchange Trailer at James Jerome.
- Watch an ice sculptor at work
To make the event fun and accessible to everyone, Healthy Kids Snow Day will offer:
- Free transit and bus shuttles the York St. Parking Lot.
- Use of sleds to carry kids and gear around the sites.
- A free winter wear exchange with Better Beginnings Better Futures to trade in for warm/ dry mitts, hats, boots, and more.
- Warm-up and changing rooms
- FREE warm food tasting, nutritious snacks and beverages
- A special warm-up area for families with babies and young children for baby feeding (with separate changing facilities).
- Use of Helmets children who need one
Full Schedule of Activities/ Program: Click here
Read the City's Comfort Tips for Cold Weather to help you dress for the weather.
The Healthy Kids Community Challenge thanks all of these partners for their contributions to this event:
Better Beginnings Better Futures
Candu Engineering and Construction
Centre de santé Communautaire du Grand Sudbury
CPTM- Carrefour Meilleur depart Hanmer
City of Greater Sudbury
Conseil scolaire catholique du Nouvel-Ontario
Evaluating Children's Health Outcomes (ECHO) Research Centre, Laurentian University
James W. Cook
Jubilee Heritage Family Resources
Lake Laurentian Conservation Area
Laurentian Outdoor Education Program
Our Children Our Future/ Nos enfant notre avenir
The Outside Store
Rainbow Routes Association
Shkagamik-Kwe Health Centre
Sudbury & District Health Unit
Sudbury Brain Injury Association
Sudbury Pond Hockey Festival
Walden Day Care
Walden Mountian Bike Club
And our great volunteers!
Please note: The Snow Day in Greater Sudbury is an open free public event. Photographers will be present taking photos and video footage at this event. These images may be used without further notification at a later date (printed materials, website or social media outlets) for the promotion of the City of Greater Sudbury