Finding summer child care and day camps for school-aged kids

Finding summer child care and day camps for school-aged kids

Parents and caregivers of school-aged children who work or attend school themselves are likely to need quality care for their kids over the summer. Other families may enroll their kids in summer programs to introduce them to new activities, or help them keep busy, make new friends or develop skills.

Licensed Summer Programs

Many licensed child care centres offer summer programs that include a fun and busy schedule for children up to 12 years old. And, over the summer, many accept children on a week-to-week basis.

Licensed programs offer the advantages of qualified staff, extended hours, and support for children with special needs. Many of these programs include a hot meal and snacks.

Use the Child Care Registry to find and apply for programs in your neighbourhood. Then, call to see if there’s space available when you need it.

Day and Overnight Camps

Non-profit organizations, churches, sports and arts associations and private businesses offer day camps throughout the City. Many of these camps are organized around some type of special interest like sports, arts, martial arts or outdoor study.

While camps aren’t licensed by the Ministry of Education, some are accredited through organizations like High Five or the Ontario Camping Association. This guide explains the High Five standards, and what you should expect from a quality recreation program.

Click on any of these links for information about summer camp programs offered by these non-profit organizations:

Overnight Camps:
YMCA John Island Camp 
Camp Manitou
Camp Soleil

Day Camps:
Art Gallery of Sudbury
Cambrian College Athletics Little Shields Camps
Carrefour francophone
Conservation Sudbury-Camp Bitobig    
City of Greater Sudbury-Sudaca and Wassakwa, Sports Sampler and Creative Camps and new Master of Disaster Camp
Laurentian University Voyageurs Recreation Camps and Varsity Camps
Science North 
Sudbury Canoe Club
Sudbury Yacht Club
Theatre Cambrian
YMCA Recreation and Specialty and new Walden Day Camps

Paying for summer programs

Summer care can be expensive, especially if you have more than one child. A child care subsidy for children 12 and under is available at licensed programs and at some day camps, including City of Greater Sudbury and YMCA Day Camps. Call 3-1-1 for details or see Paying for Child Care for information about child care subsidies and tax deductions.

Low income families may be eligible to be referred for the Send-a-Kid-to-Camp Program of the Sudbury Manitoulin Children's Foundation.

Most summer camp or child care expenses are eligible as child care deductions so be sure to ask for, and keep, receipts.

Other programs

  • Better Beginnings Better Futures runs summer programs for children who live in the Flour Mill/Donovan neighbourhood. Call (705) 671-1941 for more information.
  • The city offers neighbourhood playground programs for families who don’t need child care but who are looking for something fun for their children to do close to home.
  • If your children are at home with a parent or babysitter, be sure to check the Community Calendar for special activities and events scheduled for school aged kids at EarlyON Centres and library branches.

This content was prepared and reviewed by the City of Greater Sudbury and its partners. However, it should not take the place of advice from your health care provider or other professionals working with you and your child. 

Notice a broken link or an error or omission in this content? Email to let us know.